Archive

The White House is Lying on Libya

Terrorism

The White House story of the attacks on Benghazi is unraveling, reports Eli Lake. No, it wasn't a spontaneous response to a YouTube clip, as - among others - UN ambassador Susan Rice has publicly insisted.

One current U.S. intelligence officer working on the investigation into the incident told The Daily Beast that the attackers had staked out and monitored the U.S. consulate in Benghazi before the attack, a move that suggests pre-planning.

What’s more, two U.S. intelligence officials told The Daily Beast that the intelligence community is currently analyzing an intercept between a Libyan politician whose sympathies are with al Qaeda and the Libyan militia known as the February 17 Brigade—which had been charged with providing local security to the consulate. In the intercept, the Libyan politician apparently asks an officer in the brigade to have his men stand down for a pending attack—another piece of evidence implying the violence was planned in advance.

Got a tip? Send it to The Daily Beast here.