A resentencing hearing for the Menendez brothers that had been scheduled for the end of January has been postposed to March 20 and 21 due to the Los Angeles wildfires, L.A. County District Attorney Nathan J. Hochman announced Friday.
The new date was “due to the impact of recent wildfires on the parties’ extensive preparations for the hearings,” Hochman’s office said in a statement.
Erik and Lyle Menendez, who have each served more than 30 years of a life sentence for the 1989 murder of their parents, should be resentenced or receive clemency, family members have petitioned the district attorney, citing alleged abuse by their parents.
A Jan. 3 meeting was “productive,” Hochman said afterward, adding that he had not decided if he supports the brothers being freed. The matter should be viewed as two separate cases, Hochman has also said.
The wildfires in Los Angeles, which have caused billions of dollars in damage and dozens of fatalities, have also interrupted filming on shows like Jeopardy! and pushed back the Critics Choice Awards.
The Grammys will proceed as planned on Feb. 2, but with the addition of fundraising for relief efforts.